Earth Science Activities
Mantle of the Earth
These Earth Science activities demonstrates how the Earth's mantle are
believed to move in the Earth's interior. First watch your mixture flow
like a liquid. Then cause your "mantle rocks" to break apart in these
fun hands on science activities.
Earth's rocks breaking apart
- White school glue
- Liquid starch
- Food coloring (optional)
Flowing of Earth's mantle
- Measure 2 tablespoons of white glue into a bowl.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of liquid starch on top of the glue.
- Mix the two ingredients together with a fork until it forms a soft ball that can be picked up with your hands.
- Continue to knead the mixture with your hands.
- You may need to add a little more glue or starch if the mixture does not hold its shape.
- Add food coloring to your mixture to give it color.
- Roll some of the "mantle rocks" around in your hand to form the shape of a sausage.
- Allow the "mantle rocks" to flow over the side of your hand like a liquid.
the mixture into a ball and pull it apart. If you give a jerk the
"mantle rocks" should break apart. If they don't just add more glue or
starch until they do.
More Links to Science Activities
- Science Activities Learn more about the many wonderful science activities that are offered in this section of our website.
- Earthquake Activities Create fault blocks out of Styrofoam that demonstrates normal and reverse faults.
- Flight Activities Build balloon rockets and see how far you can make them travel in these fun science activities.
- Fossil Activity Draw your favorite dinosaur and turn it into a place mat in these simple science activities.
- Free Science Activities Create your one of a kind table top decoration using rock pictures you drew in this fun science activity.
- Geology Activities This simple earth science activity demonstrates how gneiss metamorphic rocks form when continents collide.
- Earth Science Activities Create a substance that acts both like a liquid and a solid.
- Earth Science Learn about planet Earth, Rock Cycle, Volcanoes and many more topics on this website.
KIDS FUN SCIENCE BOOKSTORE
Check out Myrna Martin's award winning textbooks, e-books, videos and rock sets. The Kids Fun Science Bookstore covers a wide range of earth science topics. Click here to browse.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter and receive our FREE eBook containing 3 fun activities that don’t appear in any of our other books!
The Kids Fun Science monthly newsletter will include the following: current events, weird and fantastic facts, a question of the month, science trivia and the latest new content from our website.
We respect your privacy and you can be assured that we will never share your email address or use it for any other purpose than to send you our newsletter.