Elementary Science Activities
These elementary science activities introduces you to the layers that
make up our atmosphere. In this fun science activity you will create a
picture showing the Earth surrounded by the Troposphere, Stratosphere,
Mesosphere and the Thermosphere.
Outer layers of the atmosphere
- Four colors of blue construction paper
- Orange construction paper
- Metric ruler
- Black felt pen
- Draw a circle on the orange paper that has a radius of 2 cm and a diameter of 4 cm.
- Cut out the circle and draw an equator across the middle of the circle.
- Label the orange circle Earth and put an N at the top and S at the bottom to show the poles.
an oval on the lightest blue paper with your compass. The widest part
of the oval should have a radius of 4 cm. The narrowest part 3 cm.
- Trim the oval so the diameter is 8 cm around the equator and 6 cm at the poles.
- Label the oval the Troposphere. The diameter of the oval varies between 6 cm and 8 cm.
- Take the next piece of paper and create a larger circle with a radius of 6 cm.
- Cut out the circle and label it Stratosphere. The diameter of this circle is 12 cm.
- The final circle should have a radius of 8.2 cm.
- Cut out the circle and label it Mesosphere. The diameter of this circle is 16.4 cm.
- Label the last square of blue paper Thermosphere.
- Glue each of the circles one on top of the other to make the layers of the atmosphere like the picture above
More Science Activities
Science Activities Learn more about the many wonderful science activities that are offered in this section of our website.
Astronomy Activity In this activity your will create a mobile of the major types of galaxies including our own Milky Way Galaxy.
Earth Science Activities Create a substance that acts both like a liquid and a solid.
Earthquake Activities Create fault blocks out of Styrofoam that demonstrates normal and reverse faults.
Flight Activities Build balloon rockets and see how far you can make them travel in these fun science activities.
Fossil Activity Draw your favorite dinosaur and turn it into a placemat in these simple science activities.
Elementary Science Activities Learn about the layers of the atmosphere in this earth science activity.
KIDS FUN SCIENCE BOOKSTORE
Check out Myrna Martin's award winning textbooks, e-books, videos and rock sets. The Kids Fun Science Bookstore covers a wide range of earth science topics. Click here to browse.