Ocean in a Bottle
This ocean activity is an easy science activity for kids. Ocean waters
are layered just like this science activity. The ocean waters are
separated by density and temperature. Kids will use water and oil for the
ocean layers in these easy science activities.
Extremely cold ocean water from
the poles is denser that the surface water so it settles to the bottom
of the ocean. As more extremely cold water descends into the depths the
water is pushed into a stream of water that flows toward the warm equators where the water rises because of the warmth of the sun.
Ocean in a Bottle
- Clean plastic bottle
- Salad oil
- Blue food coloring
- Fill the bottle about one-third full of salad oil.
- Mix blue food coloring with water in a glass.
- Pour the blue water into the plastic bottle until it is about two-thirds full.
- Replace the cap on the bottle and tape it shut.
- Turn the bottle on its side to see the two different layers form inside the bottle.
- Notice the water is denser than the salad oil because it forms the lowest layer.
- Gently move the bottle back and forth in a horizontal motion to see waves form.
- If you shake it up, what do you think will happen? Try it.
- Have fun with your Ocean in a Bottle.
- You might find a place where the bottle can lay on its side for more fun.
More Links to Science Activities
- Science Activities Learn more about the many wonderful science activities that are offered in this section of our website.
- Solar System Activities The
Earth and Moon travel in space around the Sun. These easy science
activities demonstrate how the Moon travels around the Earth.
- Simple Science Activities A fun science activity that you get to eat! Create an Earth Cookie that demonstrates the major parts of the Earth.
- Fun Science Activities Create your own sedimentary critter rocks using seashells you have collected or bought.
- Elementary Science Activities Learn about the layers of the atmosphere in this earth science activity.
- Astronomy Activity In this activity your will create a mobile that contains the major types of galaxies.
- Ocean Activity Creating
an ocean in a bottle is easy and fun to do. Then watch the action in
the bottle for a fascinating and simple science activity.
- Earth Science Learn about planet Earth, Rock Cycle, Volcanoes and many more topics on this website.
KIDS FUN SCIENCE BOOKSTORE
Check out Myrna Martin's award winning textbooks, e-books, videos and rock sets. The Kids Fun Science Bookstore covers a wide range of earth science topics. Click here to browse.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter and receive our FREE eBook containing 3 fun activities that don’t appear in any of our other books!
The Kids Fun Science monthly newsletter will include the following: current events, weird and fantastic facts, a question of the month, science trivia and the latest new content from our website.
We respect your privacy and you can be assured that we will never share your email address or use it for any other purpose than to send you our newsletter.