Solar System Activities
Earth & Moon
These solar system activities look at the relationship between the Earth
and the Moon. The Moon revolves around the Earth because of the pull of
gravity. It does not crash into the Earth because of the speed it is
traveling around the Earth. In these simple earth science activities you
will demonstrate the movement of the Moon around the Earth.
Gravity pull between Earth and Moon
- Empty thread spool
- Ping pong ball
- Cut a piece of string 3 feet long.
- Slip the string through the thread spool.
- Tie one end of the string to the ping pong ball.
- You might make a hole through the center with a nail or tape it to the string.
- Tie the other end of the string to a metal washer.
- Hold the string in your hand with the ping pong ball on top of the thread spool and the washer hanging below it.
- Slowly move the spool in a circle forcing the ping pong ball to turn in a circle around the thread spool.
- What happens to the ping pong ball as you increase or decrease its spin around the spool.
- The thread spool represents the Earth.
- The ping pong ball represents the Moon.
- The washer represents the force of gravity pulling the Moon toward the Earth.
- Try using different weights for the force of gravity.
More Links to Science Activities
- Science Activities Learn more about the many wonderful science activities that are offered in this section of our website.
- Simple Science Activities A fun science activity that you get to eat! Create an Earth Cookie that demonstrates the major parts of the Earth.
- Fun Science Activities Create your own sedimentary critter rocks using seashells you have collected or bought.
- Elementary Science Activities Learn about the layers of the atmosphere in this earth science activity.
- Astronomy Activity In this activity your will create a mobile of the major types of galaxies including our own Milky Way Galaxy.
- Earth Science Activities Create a substance that acts both like a liquid and a solid.
- Solar System Activities The
Earth and Moon travel in space around the Sun. These easy science
activities demonstrate how the Moon travels around the Earth.
- Earth Science Learn about planet Earth, Rock Cycle, Volcanoes and many more topics on this website.
KIDS FUN SCIENCE BOOKSTORE
Check out Myrna Martin's award winning textbooks, e-books, videos and rock sets. The Kids Fun Science Bookstore covers a wide range of earth science topics. Click here to browse.